Traffic Engineering and Operations Office
Provide leadership and serve as a catalyst in becoming the national leader in senior mobility.
Improve the safety, access, and mobility of Florida's growing aging population.
Since Safe Mobility for Life benefits all Florida road users, FDOT will be providing educational information to increase awareness of safe driving, riding, and walking practices to the public. The first task under our education initiative has already been accomplished to develop a new logo and positive branding for the program.
This site contains the following information to educate and assist in promoting the concept that safety is a concern regardless of age.
- DHSMV's Florida GrandDriver - Getting Around Safe and Sound
- DOEA's Communities for a Lifetime Transportation Fact Sheet
- News, Articles, and Press Releases
- Safety and Program Materials
News, Articles, and Press Releases:
- United We Guide Mobility Manager Press Release (August 11, 2009)
- Senior Mobility Series: Article 4 Marking the Way to Greater Safety (Public Roads - July/August 2006)
- Disseminator - April 2007
- Changes being made to assist drivers navigating the roads (Pantagraph.com - May 25, 2007)
- FLITE Newsletter - May 2007
- TRB Safe Mobility for Older Persons Newsletter (June 2007)
- Florida Paves the Way for Senior Drivers (Edmunds.com - July 17, 2007)
Safe Mobility for Older People (America Society on Aging Newsletter Fall 2008-Winter 2009):
Update on an Evolving Field by John Eberhard and Mary Leary
This Web site was designed in collaboration with our program partners to act as an educational resource, not only for seniors, but also families, caregivers, aging service providers, law enforcement, local governments, planners, engineers, Community Traffic Safety Teams and all others interested in promoting safety and mobility for Florida's elder citizens.
Here is a sample of some of the topics covered on the Web site:
- Driver Wellness
- When to Stop Driving
- Local Resources to Transportation Alternatives
- Florida Traffic Laws
- Buying a Safe Vehicle
- Resources for Planners and Engineers
- Role of Physicians in Senior Driver Safety
Safety and Program Materials:
- Safe Mobility for Life Fact Sheet
- Countdown Pedestrian Signals Tip Card
- Roundabout Tip Card
- Safe Mobility for Life Strategic Plan Booklet
- SafeandMobileSeniors.org Tip Card
- FDOT 1 Lane Roundabout Brochure
- FDOT 2 Lane Roundabout Brochure
- Florida CarFit Fact Sheet
- CarFit Brochure
For additional information on this program, contact Gail Holley at email@example.com