Traffic Engineering and Operations Office
FDOT has deployed a Facility Management System that was adapted from the telecommunications industry to help manage the overall ITS network, the system configuration, and its components (assets). FDOT has procured an enterprise license from Byers Engineering Company for their NexusWorks Product, formally Fiber Management Tool (FMT). Byers has configured the product to meet our needs for ITS project documentation of fiber optic facilities, ITS devices, traffic signal equipment and the statewide telecommunication network information. The resulting configured product for FDOT is called ITS Facility Management System (ITSFM).
ITSFM is a GIS (Geographical Information System) based web application that provides for the modeling of the fiber network facilities and connected fiber devices, as well as ITS devices and the electrical system powering the ITS device sites. The software is a web based application that a valid user can access through a secure login from any computer connected to the Internet, there is no software to install or maintain on the user's computer. The application provides dynamic and interactive mapping of the facility network on the user's laptop or personal computer running the latest version of Internet Explorer and JAVA software with a wired or wireless broadband connection to the Internet
The ITSFM compiles information about network assets into a single, accessible geo-based graphical and tabular database allowing the Districts, the Central Office ITS Section and Regional Partners to manage the entire system. Regional transportation partners are invited to join the system at moderate cost to facilitate regional data sharing with each other to facilitate fiber and other infrastructure sharing.
The ITSFM is designed so maintenance technicians can update the database as changes and modifications are performed in the field by using any laptop computer with a wireless Internet connection.
The ITSFM is configured to support both the asset and configuration management of the following subsystems:
- Regional Transportation Management Centers
- Communication Hub Sites
- Field Equipment Sites.
ITS & Signal Subsystems:
- Geographic location and attributes for traffic signal (intersection or ramp),and the following ITS device types:
- Closed Circuit Television Camera (CCTV)
- Vehicle Detection System (VDS):
- Radar Detection Sensors
- Video Detection Sensors
- Pavement Detection Sensors
- Telemeter Traffic Monitoring Site (TTMS)
- Dynamic Message Sign (DMS)
- Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) Transmitter
- Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) Sign
- Roadway Weather Information System (RWIS)
- Electronic Feedback Speed Sign (EFSS)
- Warning Beacon (WB)
- Trail Blazer (TB)
- Safety Barrier Cable System (SBCS)
- Travel Time System (TTS).
- Electrical Subsystem
- Geographic location and attributes for electrical cable, cabinets (load center, meter point and service point)
- Electrical circuits association to equipment cabinets
- Utility service demarcation sites including utility company service information.
Page Contact For additional information, please contact Randy Pierce at Randy.Pierce@dot.state.fl.us.