Traffic Engineering and Operations Office
On July 21, 2000, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) assigned designated 511 as the nationwide telephone number for providing telephone-based traveler information. After extensive planning and design work, FDOT launched five regional services over a period of five years, starting in 2002. A statewide 511 service was also launched in 2005, which provided exception reporting (primarily incident data and construction/work zone information) in all parts of the state not covered by the regional 511 services. In 2009, FDOT launched a new statewide travel information system, FL511, and the regional services were turned off.
FL511 is an integral part of Florida's Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) Program, enhancing the safety and mobility of people and goods, economic competitiveness, and the quality of our environment and communities by serving commuters, tourists, commercial vehicle operators, and evacuees. FL511 is fully bilingual, offering users information in English and Spanish via the phone, text, e-mail, and the FL511.com web site allowing Florida's diverse population to better receive travel information.
Instructions to assist in navigating your way around FL511 can be found at http://www.fl511.com/Help.aspx
FL511 continues to grow and over the past three years has made significant additions to help the travelling public:
- August 2010: Added coverage on SR-60 at the interchange with I-275 near the Tampa International Airport.
- December 2010: Added new transfers to FL511 call menu, including transit agencies, airports, one seaport, and five new commuter service agencies.
- June 2011: Added the FL511 mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users; added commuter service programs to the FL511 call menu.
- August 2011: Added traffic camera views to the mobile app.
- October 2011: Added a transfer to 95 Express.
Most recently, in 2012, FDOT added 12 Twitter accounts to provide travel information. They may be accessed at http://www.fl511.com/Twitter.aspx
Other FL511 information is available as follows:
- Florida 511 Working Group Meetings
- Florida 511 Progress Reports - updating information on FL-511 in the calendar year.
- Current Issue (2013)
Other 511 sites of interest include:
- www.deploy511.org (National 511 Deployment Coalition)
- http://www.dot.state.fl.us/publicinformationoffice/ (Traveler information provided by the FDOT Public Information Office)
For additional information, please contact Gene Glotzbach at Gene.Glotzbach@dot.state.fl.us.