Design Guidance provided by PCI will be considered.
- Use standardized sections contained in the
example drawings with standardized depths and standardized core form dimensions. Complete FDOT Standards similar to the FIB will not be available due to the unique design requirements for a given site.
- Minimum of two girders per bridge
- Minimum 3 tendons per web
- Cast-in-place lid slab construction; Precast lid slabs are not allowed.
- Interior box lighting for post tensioned applications
- 72" minimum box girder height for PT sections
- For haunched girders, mildly reinforced field cast filled bottom flange build up is allowed.
- Future PT is not required.
- Mixing of curved and straight beams within a
span is not allowed.
- Allowance for inspection/access:
- Provide access into the box through the bottom slab for PT sections.
- Minimum 3'-0" diameter access holes in diaphragms
- Provide handles on either side of access holes for inspectors.
- 2'-0" minimum interior width measured along the top of the bottom slab
- Ramps up to diaphragm access holes are
- Longitudinal mild reinforcing steel stress in the deck is limited to 24 ksi.
- Pretensioned concrete deck panels are not allowed as a forming system.
- Post-Tensioned integral piers are allowed.
LRFD Bridge Design Specifications
FDOT Structures Manual
Post tensioning and box access requirements would be similar to FDOT precast segmental bridge requirements.
FDOT Specifications where applicable
Technical Special Provisions required where standard specifications are not appropriate.
Implement as appropriate projects are identified.
Initial projects will require
extensive coordination with the Structures Design Office to develop
acceptable complete designs.
Tom Andres, P.E.
Asst. State Structures Design Engineer
Phone: (850) 414-4269