Public Involvement Handbook and Toolkit
The Public Involvement Toolkit is available in PDF format by separate module or as one larger file as follows:
- Introduction (PDF file) - Public involvement is not just about holding meetings or issuing press releases. It is about planning and implementing a comprehensive, integrated program to involve the public in transportation decisions. This can be an overwhelming assignment, especially in light of today's budget constraints and limited resources.
- Module 1 - How to Develop a Public Involvement Plan (PDF file) - This module provides the rules, elements, and roles and responsibilities for developing a public involvement plan.
- Module 2 - How to Identify and Reach the "Right People"! (PDF file) - Public involvement activities are much more effective if your efforts are targeted toward people who can and will contribute to the project development and decision-making process.
- Module 3 - How to Create Effective Communication Materials (PDF file) - Public information materials must convey project information in a clear, concise manner. By using simple diagrams, charts, models and even cartoons, we can communicate information in appealing and understandable ways.
- Module 4 - How to Plan & Implement Effective Public Meetings (PDF file) - There are many different meeting types, including formal and informal formats. The type of meeting you choose should be tailored to the purpose and audience.
- Module 5 - How to Handle Public Comment (PDF file) - Public comment is a valuable source of information. These comments are used to identify community needs and issues which must be addressed in project development.
- Module 6 - How to Deal Effectively with People (PDF file) - This module has been prepared to suggest ways to stay calm and be confident, thus being more responsive to citizens. It will help you deal with the public more effectively and will assist you in working more productively with your co-workers and project team members.
- All Modules (PDF file, 6.3 MB) - This is a compilation of all preceding modules.