Office of Policy Planning
News and Announcements
March 17, 2016 - Florida bicyclists are taking a special trip on the state's inaugural routes in the U.S. Bicycle Route System. The ride will be from St. Augustine to Key West and from Crescent Beach to the Florida-Alabama state line. See the News Release for more information.
July 28, 2015 - A new mapping system displaying Bicycle Friendly Roads and trails throughout the state of Florida has been added to the links below. Bicycle friendly roads include roads that contain a bike lane, shared path, or a shoulder width of 4' or greater to accommodate cyclists.
November 20, 2014 - U.S. Bicycle Route 1 and U.S. Bicycle Route 90 in Florida have been approved by AASHTO. The maps and turn-by-turn logs for both routes are provided below:
- USBR 1 Maps (in PDF format)
- USBR 1 Turn-by-turn log (in PDF format)
- USBR 90 Maps (in PDF format)
- USBR 90 Turn-by-turn log (in PDF format)
October 2, 2014 - FDOT has submitted applications to establish USBR 1 and USBR 90 in Florida to the AASHTO Special Committee on US Route Numbering. The applications will be considered on November 21 at the AASHTO Annual Meeting to be held in Charlotte, North Carolina.
August 22, 2013 - FDOT intends to submit applications for the establishment of USBR 1 and USBR 90 in Florida to AASHTO within the next two years. To achieve this goal, U.S, Highway 1 and U.S. Highway 90 will serve as a baseline for USBR 1 and USBR 90. Local agencies and bicycle groups are invited to submit "Resolutions of Support" for preferred alternative routing. If the recommended route is over a local road or a trail, a "Resolution of Support" by the owner of the facility must be provided.
The current routing for U.S, Highway 1 and U.S. Highway 90 and sample Resolutions of Support are provided below:
- Current Routing for U.S. Highway 1 (in PDF format)
- Current Routing for U.S. Highway 90 (in PDF format)
- Sample Resolution of Support for United States Bicycle Route 1 (in Word format)
- Sample Resolution of Support for United States Bicycle Route 90 (in Word format)
It is the policy of the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) to establish components of the United States Bicycle Route (USBR) system in Florida, intended to connect with future routes in Georgia and Alabama. In carrying out this policy, the FDOT will:
- Comply with the "Purpose and Policy U.S. Numbered Bicycle Routes" of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO); and
- Encourage other state agencies, regional planning councils, metropolitan planning agencies, local governments, bicycling interest groups, and managers of bicycle facilities to contribute towards the assessment and identification of routes for designation as a US Bicycle Route.
The initial four 50-mile wide corridors that will be considered for establishment of US Bicycle Routes in Florida are:
- US BR 90, which follows US 90 from Pensacola to St. Augustine;
- US BR 1, which follows US 1 from Nassau County to Key West;
- US BR 15, which follows Florida's Gulf Coast from Madison County to Miami; and
- Alternate US BR CFG, which follows the route of the Marjorie Harris Carr Cross Florida Greenway from Daytona Beach to Tampa Bay.
Other United States Bicycle Routes may be established. Related information including criteria for designation of routes in Florida will be maintained and available in the FDOT Plans Preparation Manual, Topic No. 625-000-007.
- Bicycle Friendly Roads
- AASHTO Special Committee on Route Numbering
- U.S. Bicycle Route System Corridor Plan
- USBR Application Form