Office of Policy Planning
Welcome to the Florida Department of Transportation's (FDOT) Web site for information on clean air initiatives related to transportation. This Web page will be used to provide information and resources regarding how transportation facilities and services in Florida impact air quality. A helpful glossary of related terms is maintained by the Federal Highway Administration.
News and Announcements
Information about training opportunities and other announcements will be added here.
- FDOT Air Quality Fact Sheet (updated October 9, 2015)
Other organizations and agencies are involved in helping keep Florida's air clean. They include:
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) - DEP's Division of Air Resource Management helps protect, conserve and restore Florida's air, with the goal of protecting the health of Florida's residents.
- Florida Metropolitan Planning Organization Advisory Council (MPOAC) - the MPOAC is a statewide organization assisting Florida's 26 metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs) in carrying out the urbanized area transportation planning process.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality and Office of Air and Radiation develop national programs, technical policies, and regulations for controlling air pollution and radiation exposure.
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) / Florida Division - FHWA's Air Quality Team provides technical assistance, technology deployment and training in the field of transportation and air quality.
- Federal Transit Administration (FTA) - FTA has information on Transit's Role in Environmental Sustainability including improving air quality.
Related Information and Links
- Clean Air Act (CAA) - the term used to refer to federal air quality legislation enacted in 1955, 1963, 1967, 1970, 1977 and 1990 dealing with air quality and the stratospheric ozone layer.
- Transportation Conformity - information about the process used to ensure that transportation investments conform to a state's air quality plan - maintained by FHWA.
- Air Quality - air quality laws and regulations as they relate to transportation - maintained by the Center for Environmental Excellence by AASHTO.
- FHWA - Air Quality - this web site provides information on FHWA's air quality programs.
- EPA - Air Pollutants - links maintained by EPA to information about specific air pollutants.
- Ozone - information provided by EPA about ground-level and stratospheric ozone including health effects.
- Transportation and Air Quality Committee of TRB - a committee of the Transportation Research Board dedicated to transportation-related air quality issues.