What does it mean to "Authenticate" a project/delivery?
In the PEDDS system, files are indexed and stored according to a file's content, not a file's name. The content of a file is used to create a unique id called a "Hash Code". This hash code is used to index and store the file in the PEDDS database and file store. When a file's content changes, its hash code changes. This means that the project's meta info needs to be updated to reflect this new hash code.
A method exists for determining whether a project's actual files, signatories, and signature records matches the meta info of a project. This method is called "authentication".
Follow these steps for authenticating a project/delivery in the PEDDS Client Application
- Open up the project to be authenticated in PEDDS (instructions here).
- Initiate project authentication by either clicking the "Authenticate Project" toolbar button or choosing "Authenticate" from the "Project" menu.
- Authentication will then begin, and a progress bar will display.
- After the authentication ends, the Delivery Authentication Test Report will display. Any problems with the authentication process will be displayed in red.
- From the report dialog the Delivery Authentication Test Report can be printed or saved to a PDF or Excel file.
- Generally, a project manager will be required to print and sign the Delivery Authentication Test Report.
Authenticate Project Toolbar Button
Authenticate Project Menu Item
Authentication Progress Bar
Delivery Authentication Test Report
Report Dialog Menu
What do I do if there are problems with authenticating a project?
Any problems with authenticating a project will show up as red text in the report. These problems should first be addressed by securing the project. If this doesn't work, contact the FDOT CADD Office for assistance.