Aviation and Spaceports Office
The Aviation Division of the State Road Department was created by an act of the Legislature on April 15, 1933. The first Director was Colonel Alexis B. McMullen who learned to fly in WWI. He barnstormed with Mabel Cody and owned several flight schools and aviation businesses. During WWII he was stationed in Morocco. He also established the Washington D.C. headquarters of NASAO. During his tenure with our office, 84 new airports were constructed and the first Florida Aeronautical Chart was published. In April 1935, the Division presented the first Florida Ten-Year Plan of Aviation Development. At the time there were approximately 134 usable airports in Florida with expenditures of $1.2 million in federal, state, county, and city dollars.